[rescue] SS10 / SS20 Memory and SS10 or SS20 Clone?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jul 17 21:28:01 CDT 2003

"From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
"
"I got a SS20 with two SM50 for free yesterday. It had only a single 32
"MB RAM module installed. I got a bag with other 16 MB and 32 MB modules
"with it. Some of the RAMs are 80 ns access time, part # 501-1785. They
"are listed as "SS10 only" on http://www.sunstuff.org/hardware/memory/
"but the SS20 recognizes them. Now the question is: Will they work
"reliable or do they downgrade performance (RAM wait states?) or??? I was
"not able to boot any OS yet, the Ultra5 is still bussy compiling
"NetBSD-current...

it's somewhat risky.  the ss20 memory timing is designed around 60ns
simms.  afaik you won't get wait states, just hot chips trying to run
too fast and maybe massive bit errors.

"I got a SS20 clone also. It is a Tritec WS20. The PROM messages say it
"is a SS20 but the connectors on the back are looking like a SS10 with an
"additional 13W3 connector and it has two VSIMM slots. So I am irritated.
"Is this a SS20 or a SS10 or perhaps a SS10SX?

that smells more like an ss10sx, but iirc they used the ss20 chipset,
so if it was 'chipped' to 100/50 MHz system clock it would be
essentially a 20.  and the prom is a good sign.

does it have an isdn connector?  i don't remember if the 10sx still
did.