[rescue] comapq or dell??

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 15:57:41 CDT 2003

--- "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Steve Sandau wrote:
>
> > We're supposed to buy Dell stuff. I think Compaq is better if one
> > is *forced* to buy non-server servers.
>
> I disagree.  Dell will bite you in the ass on "special" parts (like
> drive brackets, and little OEM-invented FRUs) far less often than
> HewletDECompaqard.  Compaq also likes to make lots of their own
> parts, which makes compatibility a hell once Compaq thinks you need
> to upgrade. Dell mainly just rebadges stuff.

We are very happy with Dell servers at work - we have dozens of them,
and they are very reliable. I have personally had very good luck with
Dell PCs for personal use.

A tech at a former employer once said "Compaq can't walk by a part
without pissing all over it" (*everything* is special on a Compaq box,
in my experience)...

=====
Lionel

"I am not into examining other peoples' dumps..." - Sheldon T. Hall