[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Jul 16 02:40:39 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:51:04PM -0700, r.stricklin wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 11:43  AM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, r.stricklin wrote:
> >
> >>I use an Olympus E-10 and Photoshop 7 on my G4 Macintosh.
> >
> >That is a *very* nice camera.
> >

> It is, indeed. I bought it new, right after they came out around two
> and a half years ago. It still more than holds its own against the
> current crop of digitals. Before I bought it I spent some time with the
> Nikon D1; the E-10 blows its doors off in terms of image quality,
> mainly due to the E-10 having optics better matched to the CCD (though
> having firewire on the D1 was nice).

I'm currently using an Olympus D-500L, which I learned a few months
after I bought it was, according to all the photography magazines at the
time, The Camera To Buy if you wanted a digital camera for serious work.
 It's rather aged now, albeit fairly well, and I've been thinking for a
while about replacing it but never got around to doing it.  I looked at
the E10 and was impressed by its specs, but it was far outside my
budget.

For a while, I thought of replacing it with a C-2500UZ, but that's long
discontinued.  That 10:1 electronically-image-stabilized zoom lens just
seemed like such a nice thing to have, since the two things I most often
cursed the D-500L for were the absence of a longer lens and the absence
of a wider lens.

I think the only camera left on the market using that lens is the Canon
PowerShot Pro90 IS.  Has anyone on this list owned, used, played with
one etc?  I'd be interested in any feedback anyone can offer.

As a side note of interest verging closer to on-topic, I was interested
and amused to discover that the D-500L is based on a Fujitsu embedded
MicroSparc chipset, a feature it shared with (if I recall rightly)
several other Olympus, Epson, Kodak, and Fuji cameras of the time.  I
learned this while poking around trying to find out how to talk to the
camera from my Linux box through its serial port, since the provided
software that came with it was all Windows and I didn't at the time have
a Windows box.  I don't know whether this is true of to the E10 or any
other current Olympus digicams.  It gave me a certain amount of ironic
amusement at the time to wander around the company I then worked for,
with the secret knowledge that my camera had a more advanced CPU than
most of their computers.