[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Tue Jul 15 14:26:31 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 08:23:41PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> AutoCAD has always seemed kludgy to me.  I saw a demo of, I think,
> SolidWorks two employers ago, and was very impressed.

Yes, but what perspective were you taking?  It seems like it might be
unpleasant to design, say, a mall in Solidworks, from what I've seen of
it.  The AutoCAD approach seems a bit better, from what I've seen (which
was it being demoed by an electrical engineer who used it for laying out
wiring, switchs, panels, etc for large sites (malls, retirement homes,
etc).

> I've been looking around for a decent open-source 3D CAD program, but
> can't find one except for FreeCAD, which I installed but can't get to do
> anything.  (Plus its interface is terrible -- cryptic and cluttered.)
> Can you recommend a good one?

There probably aren't any decent open source cad programs other than
BRL, which is clearly all about MCAD.