[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jul 14 19:23:41 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 02:36:46PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Friday, July 11, 2003, at 02:13 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> >Time to develop a nice open source cad program...
>
>   There are a bunch of them.  Some are even better than (though not as
> easy to use as) AutoCAD.  But .DWG files are a necessity, and people in
> "non-cutting-edge" businesses tend to shy away from anything that isn't
> expensive.

AutoCAD has always seemed kludgy to me.  I saw a demo of, I think,
SolidWorks two employers ago, and was very impressed.

I've been looking around for a decent open-source 3D CAD program, but
can't find one except for FreeCAD, which I installed but can't get to do
anything.  (Plus its interface is terrible -- cryptic and cluttered.)
Can you recommend a good one?