[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from SunE10Kservers?]

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Jul 14 11:11:18 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:44:28AM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

 I've also read that if you use ECC memory that it is supposadly more
> stable with ECC turned off (something again to do with timing).  I've
> got ECC, and in my experiments I have done, I left ECC turned on.

Interesting thought.

> Mostly I've run extensive memory tests with this with memtest86 for
> hours on end.  I only had it run into an error once.

I had some failures in my system with memtest86, 3 in the same place in
12 hours.

The second night, the failures were in a different spot.

I INCREASED the memory speed, and memtest86 completed without errors.

I guess it was just flakey timing at PC100 speeds.

However, I made some changes in BIOS 6 months later, and now the system
is more stable in PC100 mode.

It seems sensitive to AGP settings in my nVidia driver too, which is
annoying.