[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 12 12:54:14 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:13:24AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Properly-implemented ECC is the right thing to do.  Yes, it's more
> expensive, but it's the right thing to do.  A memory error that would
> otherwise bring a system to its knees will simply cause an entry into
> an error log with ECC...turning unexpected downtime into scheduled
> downtime.

Not only that, but if all systems just assumed quality in the first
place, the prices would be cheaper.  Slightly more than the junk, but a
lot less than current high-quality hardware.

Saving money by buying cheap systems is a false savings.

>   With this "I like my stuff to work all the time" attitude, am I just
> being too intolerant?

Nope... the world has just accepted too much crap, and it makes people
like us look to be the odd man out.