[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 06:38:40 CDT 2003

--- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> A memory error that would otherwise bring a system to its knees will
> simply cause an entry into an error log with ECC...turning
> unexpected downtime into scheduled downtime.

There is the problem - PCs running "popular" OSes don't have "error
logs", and the concept of scheduled down time only relates to IT-savy
business environments, which are only a small subset of the total user
base of PCs running "popular" OSes on PC hardware - the remaining user
base is made up of either home users or non-IT-savy business users.

>    With this "I like my stuff to work all the time" attitude, am I
> just being too intolerant?

Yes. ;^)

=====
Lionel