[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jul 12 12:52:20 CDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:06:38AM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Nah, if you crashed a few times close to each other, just check the mem, stick
> in another stick, done. Lost work hours will be less then the 100 or so bucks
> you dig up for good RAM. Or just keep a smaller spare stick, or plug in 2
> from the beginning so you can temporary go on with only 1, or solve the
> problem in software, or...

What if the memory errors are subtle, corrupting data over a period of
two years?

It doesn't take long or much of an error to cause you a lot more than
$100 in losses.

All systems should have safe memory systems.  I think the losses
incurred by faulty RAM are probably quite high, though its difficult to
judge when there are so many other errors.