[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu Jul 10 04:06:38 CDT 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 10:45, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> I'd say everybody does. I'd be happy with a stable system that survives
> even if some bits in a DIMM fails, without interrupting my work. It's
> just that the market hasn't brought up the attention to the problem that
> makes marketing almost impossible.

True, it's pretty hard to tell customers "hey, we have flaky ram, take a more
expensive stick!" :-)

Nah, if you crashed a few times close to each other, just check the mem, stick
in another stick, done. Lost work hours will be less then the 100 or so bucks
you dig up for good RAM. Or just keep a smaller spare stick, or plug in 2
from the beginning so you can temporary go on with only 1, or solve the
problem in software, or...

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be