[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from SunE10Kservers?]

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jul 14 02:26:57 CDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> Not to defend the architecture, but...
> Play MP3s, render MIDI and play games? Still using it although it
> crashes every two or three hours?

It's cheaper than doing it over, especially since I don't particularly
see myself dropping any substantial amount of money on another x86
system.

> I just have no idea what you've done to assemble that machine that bad,
> but it sounds like you have done something *really* wrong, cause my
> machines doesn't break down that often. Not even close.

I went wrong by buying an Intel motherboard.  This one has a very
well-known failure mode, which I found out after I'd purchased 512MB of
PC133 SDRAM for it in 2000.  Intel's fix was to replace the board with a
different model with 128MB of RDRAM (about three times as expensive back
then).

The AMD board I had after that was terrifically stable--right up until
the point that the power supply in that system went marginal and fried
it.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren