[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jul 10 11:13:33 CDT 2003

"From: Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
"
"On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 10:50 AM, Scott Newell wrote:
">
"> Hmmm...has semiconductor process scaling made modern devices more or
"> less
"> susceptible to cosmic rays?
"
"   I'm not a physicist, but with shrinking feature geometries and
"decreasing logic thresholds, I'd guess they're becoming much more
"susceptible.

they are, and it's becoming a serious problem in space apps.  many of
the 'best' chips cannot be hardened sufficiently to be usable in
satellites, for example.