[rescue] Alphaserver

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jul 9 11:17:59 CDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Dan Williams wrote:

> Sorry, to repeat a question but I have more facts now. I am wondering
> how much a digital 2100 a500mp 4/233 Alphaserver with two processors
> with unkown memory and no hard disks is worth,

I spend about $120 on my last AS2100A 5/250 with two CPUs, 512MB memory,
and 12 1GB discs.

> and wether it is a worthwhile spending money on.

They're really nice VMS boxes, and they'll run Windows NT 4 quicker
than you've ever seen NT move before.  I don't -think- the AS2100A is
fully-supported in Linux and BSD.  At least, it wasn't the last time I
asked.

> It apparantly completes self test OK. I think the seller wants 50
> pounds for it.

That's a pretty good deal.  You can toss in 5/250 CPU cards if the 4/233
cards are too slow.  You can't run a mixed batch, but switching from one
to the other just requires a firmware reload.

> Basically I am looking for is the machine worth the money, and is it a
> machine worth having as I have no experience with Alphaservers.

Do you like or want to learn NT/AXP, OpenVMS/AXP, or Tru64?  That's
about what you'll be able to run on there unless, like I said, Linux or
*BSD has gotten support for that particular machine.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren