[rescue] Wireless on an Ultra 10

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Wed Jul 9 09:22:59 CDT 2003

> > I seem to recall a case where a PCI adapter is used to hold
> a regular
> > PCMCIA wireless card.  Not sure what drivers Sun has
> available however.
>
> Yeah, that takes care of the SPARC part (on PCI cards) but
> not the Solaris
> part. You could do the same with SBus too. But the drivers
> are the issue,
> particularly for the PCMCIA part of it (Solaris will drive the SBus
> PCMCIA adapter, I suspect, but will it drive the LInksys or Aeronet or
> whatever?).
>
> --Rob
>
> --
> Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com

	I did some looking around on this subject after I asked my question
once I discovered that I was not simply being an idiot, that there was a
real issue here.
	As far as I can tell sun is just not gonig for wireless LAN for some
reason. They have no mention on there site (bigadmin) except in passing. I
could find no native product for wireless at all. It would seem that the
bridge is the only option. I could find no indication that drives or
hardware existed at all.
	Then I was reading the article last night on the register about the
new sparcle laptops by tadpole. One of the things that I noticed in the
article is that they will be there usual sun gear with an ultraSparc
processor. What caught my eye is that they will include wireless internet.
This means that somewhere, somehow, there are wireless drivers for Sun gear.
We just have to find a way to pry them loose from whatever they are nailed
to.
	On a final note, after looking at the price of a wireless bridge, I
decided that I could stand to have a ethernet cable on the floor for a day
or two if I was saving a $100 by doing so. I just cannot justify the cost
over the coolness factor. $20 and I would have been all over that solution,
but when a $5 ethernet cable can do the same job better (faster and more
reliably to boot) I guess I will have to go with that option. Does that make
me less of a geek?

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org