[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10Kservers?]

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Wed Jul 9 04:06:36 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 09 July 2003 08:17, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Having had to get one or the other of this machine's two memory sticks
> replaced under warrranty three times now for single-bit hard errors, I
> figure I'm going to spend the extra 10% and buy ECC next time I buy RAM
> for any of my fast Athlon boxes.  Probably consolidate all the non-ECC
> RAM into the gamebox and stuff ECC in this machine.  Having to get a
> 256MB stick replaced for a single-bit error is sorta absurd.

If you're running Linux you can use the Badmem kernel patch and still use
broken memory modules. It allocates the faulty spots to the kernel on boot-up
without actually doing anything useful with them. So they never get
overwritten with useful data.

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be