[rescue] Anyone running Netscape 7 browser on their SPARCs?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 8 22:10:30 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 06:13:16PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> not 7 but mozilla 1.1, on my ss2+/s2.6.  launches so slow i wonder if
> my system's locked up.  has ten times the rss [~35M] of ns4.79, and
> three times the swap [~350M]  of -everything-else- i have running,
> combined.

I have Mozilla 1.3 on my Linux system.  Here's a peak at memory use
after some time, in megabytes:

Virtual             98.8
Swap                10.0
Resident            88.0
Code                148K (kilobytes)
Data                88.0
Shared              26.0

So you can see that most of Mozilla's memory use is data, not code.

If you take a close look at most programs, it seems like even though the
code is often bloated, the memory use is what is really going up.

I don't know why Mozilla is has 88MB of data allocated, and it seems to
be stable so I'm not sure its leaking like earlier versions.