[rescue] ECC [was: Re: WOT: Ebay changes to IBM from Sun E10K servers?]

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 20:57:57 CDT 2003

--- Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> wrote:
> I wonder...every once in a while I run across a discussion of what
> qualifies as a workstation vs. a personal computer'.  How about the
> ability to use ECC memory?  I rarely see lower end FeeCee class
> machines with ECC memory, yet it seems quite common on the Sun,
> SGI, IBM, and HP iron.

Dell servers can take/use ECC memory down to the (say) $600/server
level - it is not that uncommon - they tend to have compromised
graphics options (for use as a desktop), but ECC memory isn't that rare
in low end PC servers.

Dell 1600SC server ( see
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?CS=04&kc=6W300&oc=s20507
) uses ECC RAM
(http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell%2BPowerEdge&mfr=Dell&cat=RAM&model=PowerEdge+1600SC&submit=Go
) and sells for about $599 (and is SCSI-based with a 36 Gig Ultra 320
drive)...

=====
Lionel