[rescue] Anyone in California who can help with a rescue?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Jul 2 15:39:18 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 04:35 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 03:26:21PM -0500, Eric Dittman wrote:
>> Since the ANS ran AIX, did Apple ever consider using AIX as a base for
>> OS X rather than Darwin?
>
> The ANS was really just an AIX machine with an Apple logo on it.
>
> It wasn't a "normal" Mac that ran AIX.
>
> Bill

According to some pages, however, it was similar enough to Boot MacOS
if you put some versions of the ROM from a 9500 into it... as well as
the ATI card from the 9500.

Which leads to a project I'd want to undertake with the rescue...
figure out how to make an RS/6000 compatible ROM that would allow me to
install AIX 4.3.3 or 5L since the hardware is supported, but perhaps
not the device tree layout... Apple's AIX went as far as a special
version of 4.1.5

Andrew

P.S. Apple talked to IBM about a new OS, but this was during the
Copland/Gershwin days... and the CHRP/PreP projects... it was called
Pink.... there was also Taligent which was related... both projects
went nowhere.

IBM was the only one that was going to use AIX at the time I
believe.... but I could be wrong or forgetting something.