[rescue] VAX CPU Board on ebay

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Jan 30 11:58:53 CST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Jeffrey J.Nonken wrote:

> In most of the sticks I've driven, other than some of the older 3-speed jobs,
> you shift towards you to go from 1st to 2nd. No need to take your hand off
> the
> stick in the first place if you're on a straight piece of road...

Silly trivia.  The shift pattern on the manual transmission I learned to
drive on was:

    2
 1  |  OD
 |  |  |
 +--+--+
 |  |  |
 R  |  4
    3

Anyone want to venture a guess?  First was low but not a granny.  Having
first and reverse opposite each other made "rocking" out of low traction
situations easy.

> It's getting to 3rd gear that's the tricky part. :)

This is where motorcycles with air shifters excel.  :)

-James