[rescue] New harddrive in a SS20

Jeffrey J.Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Wed Jan 29 15:30:56 CST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:37:03 -0600, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Paul Hortiatis wrote:
>
> > I have a Sun SS20 who's harddrive had died, when i put 2 drives in the
> > machine the solaris installer could not see the drives to partition them
and
> > says they have Corrupt label; wrong magic number. How can i lable the
drives
> > properly so the system can use them.
>
> Pop in "Solaris Software 1 of 2".  At the "ok" prompt:
>
>   boot -s cdrom
>
> Later, at the shell:
>
>   format

Then select the drive, then type

  label

I ran into this issue myself recently and managed to stumble over the answer
by accident.

> And do the install off "Solaris Software 1 of 2", as well.  Booting and
> installing from the Installation CD will take almost a day on an SS20.

If you can get a faster CD drive it'll take LOTS less time... I found one on
eBay, 12x I think, maybe 24x, I forget, that the seller claimed was
SS20-compatible. It is, and it's been a real godsend, since I've re-installed
the OS about 6 times by now, just learning how stuff works and so on.

That grey internal thing is a 2x.

"'Slow?' What exactly do you mean by 'slow?' Should I measure this with a
stopwatch or a calendar?"

---
Headline: KILLER SENTENCED TO DIE FOR SECOND TIME IN 10 YEARS