[rescue] New harddrive in a SS20

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jan 24 16:37:03 CST 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Paul Hortiatis wrote:

> I have a Sun SS20 who's harddrive had died, when i put 2 drives in the
> machine the solaris installer could not see the drives to partition them and
> says they have Corrupt label; wrong magic number. How can i lable the drives
> properly so the system can use them.

Pop in "Solaris Software 1 of 2".  At the "ok" prompt:

  boot -s cdrom

Later, at the shell:

  format

And do the install off "Solaris Software 1 of 2", as well.  Booting and
installing from the Installation CD will take almost a day on an SS20.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "everything i know about animals i learned from
Thorndale, TX      (*   ORA books."                  --alex j avriette