[rescue] Re: Sun Interface Converter

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Jan 25 22:57:04 CST 2003

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> Reflecting on this further, I think even if the circuitry would do it,
> the fact that the device pulls it's power from the Sun keyboard port
> would mean it wouldn't work in the opposite direction, as it would not
> have power.....
>
> Wonder if anyone ever did go in that direction ?  There are more than
> enough keys/scancodes on a Sun KB to do it, and a Sun mouse has enough
> buttons... I'm sure the process is quite similiar in both directions

It has been done--Sun type 5 on a PC.

Build your own: http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/sunkbd.html

Buy one from UltraSpec: http://www.ultraspec.com/pcatalog.asp?pID=5189
Buy one (SunKB-to-USB-host): http://www.ultraspec.com/pcatalog.asp?pID=5188

Might check ebay for used ones. I got a Raritan Pc-stuff-on-Sun-server
adapter for $2.50 at a swap once because the seller had no idea what it
was... the next month I got another from the same seller for $20, cos he
had less of no idea. :)

Rob