[rescue] Re: New harddrive in a SS20

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jan 25 22:05:34 CST 2003

<<
> This is the procedure I use for formatting disks. However I've always
> wondered (a) Is there any way of turning verification off? (b) Is there
> any way of formatting disks in parallel?

a) Probably
b) You really don't want to do that.

Why are you formatting them, anyway? Are they really old discs? So
long as the discs haven't been formatted with some odd blocksize and are
in good (trustworthy) condition, all you should need to do is re-label
them, which takes a couple of seconds.

BTW, what email client do you use? Could you possibly teach it some
reasonably sane method of quoting/replying?

--
Jonathan Patschke

It isn't anything to do with the state of the filesystems. A lot of companies I deal with require that all disks be low-level formatted before they are allowed to leave the premises. From a security point of view, this is good practice (I know that formatting isn't the last word in data security, but for most practical purposes it is).

One of my clients insists on drilling through all of the individual disk cannisters with a power-drill. So I probably shouldn't complain too much.

Apologies about the mail formatting. When I'm away from the office I have to use the POS webmail client that my ISP provides for remote mail access. As soon as I replace my office's 802.11b bridge with dedicated copper, I won't have to use the webmail client any more.

Regards,

Gavin