[rescue] DEC PWS433au SCSI card compatability

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Jan 25 03:18:24 CST 2003

On 2003.01.25 01:14 Dave McGuire wrote:

>    I have a PC164.  I needed faster disk I/O for my application, so my
> machine loads its kernel (and *only* the kernel) from a 1GB IDE drive
> connected to one of the onboard IDE interfaces.  That kernel then
> mounts its filesystems from sd0, a screaming-fast IBM UltraStar
> connected to an Adaptec 2940UW host adapter.  This scheme works very
> well.
I did somthing similar. Bevore I epayed the PWS 500au, I used a PeeCee
(AMD K6-300) on a Tyan Tomcat board with NetBSD/i386 as main machine.
Tyan boards have no SDMS, so they can't boot from small Symbios SCSI
adapters... I used a floppy with OpenDOS, that loaded the Symbios DOS
drivers to access the disk and then I used dosboot.com that loaded the
BSD kernel from disk. A bit complicated and fragile (floppys alwas have
bad blocks) but with uptimes in the 100..200 day range acceptable.
A friend used a VAXstation 2000 with NetBSD/VAX as webserver. (Yes!) He
had a SCSI disk in it but not the "SCSI boot patch" in the boot ROM. So
he loaded the kernel via network and mounted the SCSI disk on the tape
port as root-fs.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen