[rescue] DEC PWS433au SCSI card compatability

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jan 24 18:14:31 CST 2003

On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 06:44 PM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> And speaking of my DEC PWS433au (which I was in my last post), mine
>> came missing the QLogic SCSI card.  I tried an Adaptec 2940UW, and
>> a 2940U2W in it.  It didn't notice.  Should they show up with
>> sh dev?
> AFAIK the a/au SRM doesn't support Adaptecs. Get a QLogic or Symbios
> Logic adapter. I have two generic PeeCee 53C875 based cards. One works
> well on my PC164, the other isn't seen by SRM. So you may try some
> different Symbios cards to find one, that SRM is happy with.

   I have a PC164.  I needed faster disk I/O for my application, so my
machine loads its kernel (and *only* the kernel) from a 1GB IDE drive
connected to one of the onboard IDE interfaces.  That kernel then
mounts its filesystems from sd0, a screaming-fast IBM UltraStar
connected to an Adaptec 2940UW host adapter.  This scheme works very
well.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "Wear whatever you want...Just don't be surprised
St. Petersburg, FL        if you wind up with a blow-gun dart in your