[rescue] Cheapass MicroFax (sic)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jan 24 00:24:04 CST 2003

On Friday, January 24, 2003, at 01:06 AM, Bill Martin wrote:
> Further scrounging around the net has me quite confused as to what
> this "MicroFax" really is.  It's label says it's a DEC 6400R-F2,
> Series BA215.  But Google has no idea what that is.  It's obviously
> not a VAX 6400, but I can find no reference to any MicroVAXen numbered
> higher than 3900.  It's apparently not a MicroVAX 3x00, although it
> bore (back before someone made off with the front cover) some strong
> resemblance to a 38/3900.  But the specs on the Compaq web site show
> differences.  Can't find anything with a similar control panel. Having
> a DEC Capital Asset tag, could it be some unreleased box?  Would they
> custom build machines on occasion?

   You mentioned that it's got a KA640 CPU...That's a MicroVAX-III with
some onboard memory (4MB I think).  That board in a BA215 chassis would
be a MicroVAX-3300.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "Wear whatever you want...Just don't be surprised
St. Petersburg, FL        if you wind up with a blow-gun dart in your