[rescue] Re: ULTRA 80 LVD SCSI controller

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jan 21 13:54:12 CST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> I need to put an LVD SCSI controller in a SUN Ultra 80 at work. The local
> SUN dealer wants $750 for the card (plus instalation). Is this reasonable?
> Are there other cards that will be suported on Solaris 7? Can we stick in
> a PC card?

Sounds fair... lots less than Sun charges for their LVD cards.

You may as well get Ultra 160 though. Ace Electronics/LSILogic has the
ITI6200U3LP-S dual U160 card for $489. ITI-6100U2-VS single-channel U80
controller is $280.

Go to http://www.lsilogic.com/buyonline.html and look there.

I've used the LSI (formerly Intraserver) cards in the OEM U60/220 boards
with great success. We paid $700 or so for the 6101U2-SK 2 years ago.

You can stick in a PC card but unless it has SPARC Solaris drivers it'll
just sit there.

Rob