[rescue] SunTuner?

Jeffrey J.Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Fri Jan 17 09:46:29 CST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:17:20 -0500, you wrote:

> > > I'm thinking that is going to be a relatively expensive TV.
> >
> > IIRC cost me around $575.
> >

> Yikes!  My JVC 34" cost less than that...

Which model? When did you buy it? This was a couple years ago... 27" Sony
flatscreen TVs were going for around $800 in the same store... this is a
D-series flatscreen (not as flat as the Sony models). Has P-in-P, two A/V
inputs, one is composite-only, the other will take composite, S-video, or
component. Electronic TV guide menu thingy, too, recording timer and two
remote control transmitters that plug in (for controlling your VCR and cable
box), and their compu-link or whatever it's called. Turns out it was a
top-of-the-line model, which I didn't realize at the time I bought it.

I could have spent less, but I decided I was tired of always buying the
cheapest available item, and this was something we'd (hopefully) be using for
years to come. So I just said, I don't even care what extra gadgets it has, I
just want to NOT buy the cheapest model. I have yet to regret that decision.

And manufacturing costs are still coming down on the larger tubes AFAIK.

So maybe he's right, maybe it's a relatively expensive TV. I just know that
my
jaw hit the floor when I first got all the settings right and saw The Matrix
in component video. It's GORGEOUS. The colors are much more vibrant without
being over-driven, and everything is sharp and clear. I'm not a real
videophile, but I do appreciate good quality, and I am SO not sorry I got
this
model.

Of course, it also depends not only on the source, but on the player as well.
When my Apex died I picked up a cheapie Hitachi. (I didn't want to send the
Apex in for repair, because I didn't know if they'd do stuff to make the
secret menu not work. And yes, I'm paranoid. Of course, that doesn't mean
they
aren't out to get me... :) When I finally replaced the DVD reader in the Apex
and set it back up, it was jaw-dropping time again -- I'd never realized how
much better the Apex looked than the Hitachi until I went back.

The Apex may be a cheapie brand, but having a big-name brand is no guarantee
either.

The Hitachi is in our bedroom feeding an old RF-input-only TV through a
modulator I made from parts from an old junk VCR. Looks just great. Now we
can
burn pr0n to VCD and watch in the bedroom. :)

---
You now have 10 minutes to evacuate the 50 mile radius of Limerick Generating
Station. Have a nice day.