[rescue] Re: You want balls?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 16 16:38:16 CST 2003

On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 04:29 PM, James Lockwood wrote:
>> I don't know about 4-slot, but I have a six-slot analogue to the 110
>> case
>> (not much wider than 6 slots, and not a lot taller... unlike the 330
>> with
>> the drive spaces... the six slot is narrower than a 330 and probably
>> 2/3
>> the weight). They do exist. I think I have a 600mp memory board and a
>> jaguar board in mine, possibly a 600mp system board too, don't
>> remember.
>> It's buried in the computer room.
>
> That's the x50.  They're relatively rare, the only config I remember
> them
> being sold in was the 3/150.  I had my 4/600 board in one for a while,
> making a "4/650".  Nice case, plenty of VME room for most things and
> still
> "desktopable" for sufficiently large values of desk.  Cooling on the
> x30
> was better though.

   I have one whose badge is labeled "4/150".  Of course I got it from a
guy who has two SS10 chassis that say "SPARCstation-3" on the front, so
who knows if they ever actually sold them in that configuration! ;)

   Anyway those 6-slotters are nice chassis, I like them a lot.  I once
built a "mondo Xterm" in one, back in 1993 or so.  I used a 3/200 CPU,
a CG5 framebuffer, and two 8MB memory boards.  It netbooted Xkernel.
It was (for the day)...glorious. 8-)

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols