[rescue] SunTuner?

Jeffrey J.Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Thu Jan 16 11:42:31 CST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:56:28 -0500, you wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:52:58AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 11:47:47AM -0500, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> > > Thank God for Macrovision! Keeping the public safe from the ravages of
> > > pirates on the high seas!
> >
> > Thank God for www.apexmodchip.com, $20, and a flat-blade screwdriver!
> >
> > arrr, matey!  Now I can watch DVDs from any region, and order british
stuff
> > from amazon.co.uk without having to wait for them to release it R1!
>
> I keep meaning to mod my Apex.  I plan to make mine a dual boot machine
> since so far the only RCE fix I've seen brakes the front panel display.
> I can't believe how lame the main modders are.  They figure out how to
> copy EEPROMS from one machine to another, but they can't figure out how
> to use the ample manufactors documentation to simply combine the two ROM
> images into one perfect one?
>
> Anyway, I want to add a dual boot mod for R0 and R1, and I want to do
> the PSU mods which are supposed to deliver better color fidelity and
> sound.  Maybe while I'm at it a component video out, though I have no
> way to use such a thing.

Tee hee! I got lucky... and smart. I had an opportunity to buy one of the
original Apex models, the one with the "secret" menu, while they were still
on
the shelves... and ran out and bought one the next day, figuring it wouldn't
last. Within a month, they'd all been yanked from the shelves...

I also managed to fix it recently, the drive died, but based on other
peoples'
info on the 'net, I obtained a suitable replacement.

It rocks.

I have other Region-free links, too, if anybody want's 'em. Contact me
off-list pls.

If you can get component video out, and don't have a TV to display it on...
get one. Mine's a JVC D-series 27", nice model, not fancy but it does have
component video. The quality difference is WELL worth it. IMHO.

---
Paranoids have enemies, too.