[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Shawn Wallbridge shawn at synack-hosting.com
Wed Jan 15 17:24:59 CST 2003

> Speaking of PC's and fileservers, I bit the bullet and am relegating my
> venerable PPro to the duty of fileserver.  So in a flurry of eBay
> activity I got the following for the following:
>
> My machine currently is:
>
> Dual PPro 200 Mhz 1MB Cache
> 512MB ECC RAM
> 2 9.1GB SCSI UW drives... one is 10,000 RPM
> Nvidia GeForce 2MX 64MB
> 3com 56K ISA modem
> Crystal built-in Sound with Yamaha MX100 set
> Built in Intel 10/100 EPro
> 14 Bay RAID cage from Topower... (TP-1400 www.topower.com) 4 down the
> left, and 10 down the right
> Dual 300 W hot swap Power supplies
> Windows 2000 Professional SP3
> This is a great games box...
>
> What's going to happen and what I bought yesterday
> Dual PPro 200 1MB Cache
> 512MB ECC RAM
> 1 9.1GB UW 10,000 RPM System Drive
> 3 W 4 drive Hot swap enclosures that take up 3 5.25" Bays
> 5 W Ultra 2 LVD 18GB drives for the hot swap enclosures... (more to
> follow as funds allow)
> AMI MegaRAID 466 with 32MB of RAM
> ATI Rage Pro 8MB Video (GeForce is going in my GF's AMD 333 and that
> will be the new games box)
> 10/100 Built-in Ethernet for Ethernet segment
> DEFPA dual attach for FDDI segment
> Dual 300 W Hot swap P/S's
> FreeBSD 5
>
> Hello Big ball o' NFS !
>
> Oh I was wondering... I also want to install all Windows software on an
> area of the array...for application running, would Samba be better than
> NFS?
>
> Andrew

Sounds nice. I have a similar setup using 2x23GB Elites (possibly more
coming) and a few IDE drives for less important stuff.

You would probably want to run Samba to share to Windows. It isn't too
hard to share the same directory using both Samba and NFS.

I think their is a free NFS client for windows now, but I am not sure.

shawn