[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Wed Jan 15 17:09:05 CST 2003

Speaking of PC's and fileservers, I bit the bullet and am relegating my
venerable PPro to the duty of fileserver.  So in a flurry of eBay activity I
got the following for the following:

My machine currently is:

Dual PPro 200 Mhz 1MB Cache
512MB ECC RAM
2 9.1GB SCSI UW drives... one is 10,000 RPM
Nvidia GeForce 2MX 64MB
3com 56K ISA modem
Crystal built-in Sound with Yamaha MX100 set
Built in Intel 10/100 EPro
14 Bay RAID cage from Topower... (TP-1400 www.topower.com) 4 down the left,
and 10 down the right
Dual 300 W hot swap Power supplies
Windows 2000 Professional SP3
This is a great games box...

What's going to happen and what I bought yesterday
Dual PPro 200 1MB Cache
512MB ECC RAM
1 9.1GB UW 10,000 RPM System Drive
3 W 4 drive Hot swap enclosures that take up 3 5.25" Bays
5 W Ultra 2 LVD 18GB drives for the hot swap enclosures... (more to follow
as funds allow)
AMI MegaRAID 466 with 32MB of RAM
ATI Rage Pro 8MB Video (GeForce is going in my GF's AMD 333 and that will be
the new games box)
10/100 Built-in Ethernet for Ethernet segment
DEFPA dual attach for FDDI segment
Dual 300 W Hot swap P/S's
FreeBSD 5

Hello Big ball o' NFS !

Oh I was wondering... I also want to install all Windows software on an area
of the array...for application running, would Samba be better than NFS?

Andrew