[rescue] Re: Dumpster diving

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 15 13:54:39 CST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Chad Fernandez wrote:

> > The Model 90 is basically a Model 95 in a desktop chassis with the
> > correspondingly smaller number of slots and bays.  Because it's the same
> > hardware implementation as the 95, you can use the Model 95's Type-IV
> > Pentium 90 Processor Complex.  It's schweet.  Although I prefer the 95
> > myself, it takes up a lot more space.
>
> Your description sounds like it's a really nice machine.  I've heard the
> Model 95 comparison before, but for some reason, I still decided that I
> wanted a 95 instead.  Isn't there some sort of limitation with the 90
> that isn't present on the 95.... memory or something, maybe?

Nope.  They both have eight memory sockets for a maximum of 512MB
(although getting it above 64MB would be expensive).  There is a
significantly smaller space for mounting hard disks.  Plus there are
significantly fewer MCA slots.  Other than that, it's a perfectly
acceptable machine.  Can even internally mount CD-ROM drives.

> I've never managed to get a 95, so maybe I'll open up my options a
> little a keep my eye out for 90 as well.  Unfortunetly, I don't normally
> see any high end PS/2's around here.

I know where you can get a Model 95, if you're really interested.

Peace...  Sridhar