[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Tue Jan 14 10:48:25 CST 2003

Hi,

I'll answer all of your questions in one mail.

First of all, the onyx has:
4 100 MHZ IP19 Processors
CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 5.0
FPU: MIPS R4000 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 0.0
Main memory size: 64 Mbytes, 1-way interleaved
[..]
RealityEngineII Graphics Pipe 0 at IO Slot 11 Physical Adapter 2 (Fchip rev 2)
RealityEngineII Graphics Pipe 1 at IO Slot 9 Physical Adapter 5 (Fchip rev 2)
Integral Ethernet controller: et0, Ebus slot 11
I/O board, Ebus slot 11: IO4 revision 1
I/O board, Ebus slot 9: IO4 revision 1
Multi-Channel Option board installed
Multi-Channel Option board installed

So, those are RealityEngineII's, and it's not 2 boards but 2 pipes.

> And the 64megs of ram is really bizarre.  However, it isn't to hard to
> beef that up... if you have a spare grand.

Hm.. I really don't want to invest in it.. Anyway not as long as I
haven't got the spae nor the correct power outlet.

> Is there something in the PSU that demands 3 phase?  That's what 380
> would be isn't it?  I would have thought there would be a way to convert

I don't know. 380 is 3 phase, indeed. I'd have to check. But then again,
if I manage to get it to run on 220V which we have here, I wouldn't be
able to turn it on during the day as that would make life in the office
impossible.

> outlet. Plus he is based in Europe (Holland I guess by the use of
> voor/achter =) ), so if you even converted to 110V all that he would see

Very good Francisco :-) 'friet' is also a Dutch word.

> Oh my god. I think I almost threw up my lunch all over the desk...
> PeeCees? Replacing an Onyx2? Heh.

They had a lot of SGIs over there, lots of indys, O2s, some challenges.
They will all be replaced with PCs. As I said before, the biggest
graphics requirements were for real-time simulations, and that's where
they used the two Onyxes and are now using the Onyx2.

Walter.

IP19 PROM (BE) SGI Version 13  built 02:03:53 AM Aug 29, 1993
Checking system endianess...                    Big endian
Initializing hardware inventory...              ...done.
    CPU 03/00 is bootmaster
Testing and clearing bus tags...                ...passed.
Configuring memory...
    Using standard interleave algorithm.
Running built-in memory test... 01
                                                ...passed.
Writing cfginfo to memory
Initializing MPCONF blocks
Checking EAROM...                               ...passed.
Testing secondary cache...                      ...passed.
Checking processor diag results...
    Enabled 64 Megabytes of main memory
    Enabled 4 processors
Downloading PROM header information...
Jumping into IO4 PROM.

PROM Segment Loader SGI Version 1.0 Rev A MIPS3,   Oct 29, 1994

IO4 PROM Monitor SGI Version 3.14 Rev A IP19,   Oct 29, 1994 (BE)
Sizing caches...
Initializing exception vectors.
Initializing IO4 subsystems.
Fixing vpids...
Initializing environment
Initializing software and devices.
All initialization and diagnostics completed.
Bootmaster processor already started.
Starting processor #1
Starting processor #2
Starting processor #3
Comparing EAROM checksums...
Checking hardware inventory...

                           Starting up the system...

               To perform system maintenance instead, press <Esc>
IRIX Release 6.5 IP19 Version 10120104 System V - 64 Bit
Copyright 1987-2000 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

WD95A SCSI controller 0 - single ended internal, rev 0, min xfer period 100ns
WD95A SCSI controller 1 - differential internal, rev 0, min xfer period 100ns
WD95A SCSI controller 90 - single ended internal, rev 0, min xfer period 100ns
WD95A SCSI controller 91 - differential internal, rev 0, min xfer period 100ns
Configuring EPC in IO4 slot 11 padap 1 as et0
MCO: Using MCO on pipe 0 - address 0x800000, VME adapter 0
MCO: Using MCO on pipe 1 - address 0x800000, VME adapter 36
NOTICE: No system file entry for the IO4 slot 9 ethernet port was found.
Consult the ethernet(7) man page for information on configuring
this port.
The system is coming up.
Mounting filesystems:

network: WARNING: IRIS's Internet address is the default.
Using standalone network mode.
Network daemons: portmap.
Internet daemons: inetd.
Adding swap areas declared in /etc/fstab.
Mailer daemons: sendmail.
Starting lp spooler.
/var/netscape/fasttrack/sgi_config/fasttrack/configure: no changes
/var/netscape/fasttrack/sgi_config/admin/configure: no changes
Starting Netscape FastTrack Server(s)
/var/netscape/fasttrack/httpd-IRIS
Netscape-FastTrack/3.02 B98.201.2055
startup: listening to http://unknown, port 80 as nobody
/var/netscape/fasttrack/httpd-gateway
warning: daemon is running as super-user
Netscape-FastTrack/3.02 B98.201.2055
startup: listening to http://unknown, port 2077 as root
Removable media daemon: mediad.
Resource management daemon:
Performance Co-Pilot starting PMCD (logfile is /var/adm/pcplog/pmcd.log) ...
System event collection: rtmond.
Starting Session Directory Server:
The system is ready.

IRIS console login: RE pipe 0: GE0: Reality GE running...(sherwood-root 00101121
06 SS=0x8000 HS=0x30)
RE pipe 1: GE0: Reality GE running...(sherwood-root 0010112106 SS=0x8000 HS=0x30
)

IRIS console login: root
IRIX Release 6.5 IP19 IRIS
Copyright 1987-2000 Silicon Graphics, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Last login: Wed Mar 14 08:30:55 PST 2001 on ttyd1
TERM = (vt100)
IRIS 1# uname -R
6.5 6.5.10m
IRIS 2# hinv
4 100 MHZ IP19 Processors
CPU: MIPS R4400 Processor Chip Revision: 5.0
FPU: MIPS R4000 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 0.0
Main memory size: 64 Mbytes, 1-way interleaved
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C95A, single ended, revision 0
  Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version WD33C95A, differential, revision 0
Integral SCSI controller 90: Version WD33C95A, single ended, revision 0
Integral SCSI controller 91: Version WD33C95A, differential, revision 0
Integral EPC serial ports: 8
Integral EPC parallel port: Ebus slot 11
Integral EPC parallel port: Ebus slot 9
RealityEngineII Graphics Pipe 0 at IO Slot 11 Physical Adapter 2 (Fchip rev 2)
RealityEngineII Graphics Pipe 1 at IO Slot 9 Physical Adapter 5 (Fchip rev 2)
Integral Ethernet controller: et0, Ebus slot 11
I/O board, Ebus slot 11: IO4 revision 1
I/O board, Ebus slot 9: IO4 revision 1
Multi-Channel Option board installed
Multi-Channel Option board installed