[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jan 14 09:47:36 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 07:40:05AM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > If you turn it into a fridge, we will come and beat you.  Now that we
> > have that out of the way, we can try to see how we can help you.
> >
> > One possibility would be a conversion to run off 110.  Not sure how easy
> > it is to do on that machine, but it's power requirements aren't so
> > extreme as to make it unrealistic.
>
> Errr.. no! There is no way to run an SGI rack chassis out of a normal
> outlet. Plus he is based in Europe (Holland I guess by the use of
> voor/achter =) ), so if you even converted to 110V all that he would see
> would be an expectacular set of sparcs and bolts of fine... with a nice
> smell of burned electronics....

Is there something in the PSU that demands 3 phase?  That's what 380
would be isn't it?  I would have thought there would be a way to convert
it.  Like find a different power supply, and maybe customize a power
supply.  It seems that if you can figure out what power the different
parts needs an electrician should be able to do the rest.  Though it is
probably cheaper to just get the proper power installed.

--
Joshua D. Boyd