[rescue] argh, what did I do? (Onyx)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jan 14 08:18:51 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 02:41:40PM +0100, Walter Belgers wrote:

> My habit of collecting old (Unix-)computers has become compulsive. For a
> small fee (one pie a week for a year) I could pick up two Onyx systems,
> one for me, one for a friend.
>
> I should've said no. Now I own a big heavy hunk of metal that will only
> work on 380VAC which I don't have. I don't even really have the space..
> Maybe I should find something who will buy the system from me. Or can
> you turn these things into a fridge?

If you turn it into a fridge, we will come and beat you.  Now that we
have that out of the way, we can try to see how we can help you.

One possibility would be a conversion to run off 110.  Not sure how easy
it is to do on that machine, but it's power requirements aren't so
extreme as to make it unrealistic.

Another option, if it is a fairly minimal configuration like you
indicate, would be to find someone with a desk side Onyx with a Kona
backplane who would be willing to swap your onyx for his while still
allowing you to keep one of the infinite reality board sets.  Onyx racks
are hard to find, and I know numerous people on the lists would love to
have one.

> It booted up okay today, it's got 6.5.10 installed. It's the box only,
> no monitor or anything. It has 4x 100MHz R4400's and two
> InfiniteReality(?) boards, 1GB disk and 64MB memory.

64megs of ram seems a bit unlikely.  And when you say two infinite
reality boards, do you mean two infinite reality boardsets, or do you
really mean only two boards (IR takes a minimum of 3 boards to my recall).

--
Joshua D. Boyd