[rescue] SunTuner?

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Mon Jan 13 21:58:03 CST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Bill Bradford wrote:

> > (A search of the public and contract collections turns up one mention
> > in the SunLabs part of the site, and two old bug reports - one from
> > 1994, the other from 1996.  This must not have ever been productized?)
>
> It was - I see them on ebay from time to time.  LIke the Sun Interface
> Converter (lets you use ps2 kb and mice), it just wasnt
> advertised/promoted much.
>
> (more use *within* Sun than anywhere else, I think)

Huh.  That's cool.  Info seems to be very scarce, though.  I'm guessing
there was software that talked over the serial port to change settings and
things; that's probably hard to find, unless maybe the ShowMe stuff knows
about this device?  Figuring out the protocol by poking around a bit over
the serial port shouldn't be terribly hard, but time consuming...

Maybe I'll just have to bid for it and find out. :-)  I remember the first
time I fired up NeXTtv on an ND Cube and boggled at how cool that was.
Who needs a fancy picture-in-picture TV when I could have a tuner on the
ol' SS20 and the VCR plugged into the NeXT? :-)  Just one more reason
never to leave the house!

-- Chris