[rescue] The Headless Octane Debate Answered!

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Jan 7 19:24:51 CST 2003

Okay, there's been enough talk about it lately that I finally tried it.
My Octane boots just fine without a framebuffer installed, so long as
the PROM is configured with the console on "d0" instead of "g".

In fact, the machine boots without any XIO carrier at all.  I don't have
the card completely removed--just in there enough to hold the air
pressure steady, but not enough to contact the frontplane.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "everything i know about animals i learned from
Thorndale, TX      (*   ORA books."                  --alex j avriette