[rescue] Octane login wanted...

Steve Rikli sr at genyosha.net
Mon Jan 6 19:06:47 CST 2003

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 03:34:30PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Thomas Gallaway wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know if you ca even run a octane headless...
> >
> > You can--just like you can run any SGI headless.  Tell the PROM to use
> > the first serial port instead of the gfx head as the console and/or tell
>
> My understanding is that an Octane will run without a monitor/keyboard
> attached.  However, you cannot boot one that does not have a graphics
> card installed, from what I have been told.

I don't believe that is correct.  I used to run a headless Octane back
at the company -- i.e. all 4 XIO slots were occupied by MEnet and other
network cards.

Now, I don't think it was necessarily a supported config, and I don't
recall that we ever actually sold Octane w/out gfx, but it definitely
booted and ran w/out a graphics card.

And JFYI, it's not strictly necessary to adjust PROM settings in order
to use serial vs. graphics for console -- i.e. in the absence of a
keyboard the default console becomes the 1st serial port, much like
Sun (et al) hardware behaves.  Though it is possible to set it one way
or the other as well.

cheers,
sr.
--
|| Steve Rikli              ||| Regression analysis:                    ||
|| Systems Administrator    |||   Mathematical techniques for trying to ||