[rescue] Cheapass MicroFax (sic)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Jan 4 05:48:07 CST 2003

On Saturday, January 4, 2003, at 06:31 AM, <wrmartin at verizon.net> wrote:
> Ah! So it's not some obscure ancient fax server or suchlike.  Now I
> *really* want it.

   :-)

> As for "useless", that's the word I use to describe my Sun 4/690MP and
> my PDP-11/70 to friends when they ask "But what do you do with it?"
> It's much easier than trying to explain the real reasons I have those
> boxes.  They are "useless" in the modern sense of computing horsepower
> vs. resource consumption (broadly defined to include things like
> garage space occupied, electricity consumed, etc.)  But yes, they can
> still do useful things.  My son's SGI Onyx RE2 could usefully heat his
> house, but first we need to figure out how to get it from his dining
> room down into his basement.  The North Star Horizon I built in
> 1979/80 is still useful also (I used it until about 10 years ago) but
> I can't imagine doing anything useful with it now.  Can't even get
> ribbons for the printer anymore (NEC Spinwriter 5520.)
>
> Is that answer careful enough?

   Close, but not quite. ;)  The 4/690MP and the Onyx are both forces to
be reckoned with, by modern standards, if properly configured.  The
Onyx isn't even all that old.  You can put a large number of very fast
processors in an Onyx.

   You have an 11/70?  I have one as well, I love that machine.  How is
yours configured?

> Anyway, I've emailed the seller to see if it's still available.
> Anybody else want it, or am I free to pursue it?

   No interest here, I have a lot of VAXen already.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols