[rescue] KVM prefs?

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Fri Jan 3 00:39:25 CST 2003

   I've got several Linksys 4-port compact KVMs (PS2KVM4) in service.
I'm pumping 1920 x 1440 through one with no problems, and it will even
do 2048 x 1536.

   Nits:

1) They're powered by the machines they're connected to, and default to
port 1 when powered up. If you're trying to start up port 2 first and have
a machine whose BIOS disables the PS2 mouse port early on if it doesn't see
one, this can cause unnecessary excitement until you figure out what's
going on.

2) They're light enough to be yanked around by the cables.

3) If the selected machine is in a state where it's not accepting
keypresses, it can be impossible to switch ports either with the keyboard
or the button on the front on the KVM until either the machine starts
accepting them again or is powered off. For example, an ATX machine that's
gone out to lunch while trying to shut down.

   --James B.