[rescue] What is an XTerminal 1?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Jan 1 11:21:33 CST 2003

On 2002.12.31 18:27 Paul Phillips wrote:

> The noise level in my home office is beginning to drive me nuts.  Five
> computers with fans going are just too much.
> I'd like to move the two Suns into another room.
I have used a SPARC 5 / Alpha PWS500au / Indigo2 / ... with 10+ m video
/ keyboard / mouse extension cables without any problem. I made a 6 cm
hole in the wall from my living room to the machine room to run the
cables to my desk.

XTerminals are nice. I have one from Tektronix that I use on a
regularly. But most XTerminals have only 8 bit planes and X over
Ethernet is not that fast as the real local framebuffer console.
And you have a real problem with XTerminals if it comes to somthing like
OpenGL support.
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen