[rescue] quad 486

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.com
Wed Feb 26 15:50:35 CST 2003

>From: "Kevin Loch" <kloch at gurunet.net>
>jwbirdsa at picarefy.com wrote:
>>  However, I was able to spring for fifty
>> cents for an ATI Mach32 EISA video card, which should be able to run in 16-
>> or 24-bit color and let the webcam work better,
>
>What webcam?

   It's really nothing special, just a "the house hasn't burned down" cam,
basically. Right now there's no timestamp on it because the video card can
only do 256 colors (luckily I had a spare EISA VGA card, the onboard video
is limited to 16! The Systempro was really really meant as a server only.)
and adding text does BAD things to the image colors. Why the video card has
anything to do with video capture from the parallel port I dunno, but
that's Windows for you. Unfortunately, when you're stuck with a particular
piece of obscure hardware (old parallel-port Logitech QuickCam) and can't
assemble a machine around your favorite Unix's supported hardware list,
that usually means you're stuck with Windows. :P

   Oh, you can see the camera at www.picarefy.com/webcams.

   --James B.