Seattle Re-PC (was: [rescue] quad 486)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Feb 26 14:33:38 CST 2003

jwbirdsa at picarefy.com wrote ...

>    Chance find in a junk bin at RePC. They don't bother with testing EISA
> cards anymore, so they all go in the junk bin for fifty cents each. If it
> doesn't work, that will be annoying, but for only fifty cents it's worth
> gambling on!

[ For non PNW folks, Re-PC is a two-location chain of computer junk stores.
They have some generic new stuff, but most of it is used.  The tested stuff
is not particularly cheap, but bargains can be had on stuff that's not
popular or that they don't bother testing. ]

I was down at the Southcenter location, and they had some large Sun stuff,
including various big RAID cabinets, rack-mount servers, and whatnot.
Smaller Sun stuff there was, too, but not much.  A bin of SBUS cards, and a
table of Classic-Xs, SS10, an SS20, a couple of dubious-looking magazine
tape drives.  Some closed-face 411s.  An IPC.  A HAL 3000.  Some 911s.

If you're looking for workstations, servers, and networking gear in the
Seattle area, Re-PCs Southcenter location is much more interesting than the
Downtown one.  The Downtown location is 90% PCs.

This is really too bad, since I can take the ferry over to Seattle and walk
to their downtown location, but my getting to Southcenter requires my taking
a car on the ferry, making it a $20 trip instead of a $5 one.

Perhaps we Seattle-area-ites should plan a Re-PC Ramble one Saturday.

-Shel