[rescue] RE: Ultra2 troubleshooting

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Feb 13 22:15:37 CST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Steve Hatle wrote:

> Yup- keyboard was not plugged in. The VT320 was 9600/8/N/1 and the
> framebuffer was out of the machine as well.
>
> I've never seen _nothing_ out of serial A before. Just as a test I plugged
> in a Sparc 5 with no memory in it, and it at least popped up a PROM diag
> that said "no memory detected".

Could be a blown serial port, which could be hard to diagnose/verify. I
had an Ultra 1 with a bad power supply--the power supply "worked" but it
blew the ttya port on two boards in a row. System booted just fine, but we
couldn't get a console or use single-user mode without a keyboard/mouse.

Make sure you don't have flow control on the terminal, just in case. It
should work with xon/xoff or rts/cts, but the prom might have weird
settings.

Not sure this will be much help, but it's a thought or two.

Rob