[rescue] Ultra2 troubleshooting

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 13 22:13:11 CST 2003

--- Steve Hatle <shatle at nfldinet.com> wrote:

> I've never seen _nothing_ out of serial A before. Just as a test I
> plugged in a Sparc 5 with no memory in it, and it at least popped
> up a PROM diag that said "no memory detected".

Dumb question - was this system known good at some point?

I suspect you may have a machine that was parted together, but never
tested. Trust nothing - take out the HDs, the CPUs and the RAM, then
check the manual and ensure that the jumpers are properly set for 200
MHz CPUs (that's what you have, right), add in a CPU and put the RAM
in, ensuring that it is in the right slots...

They may have pulled the higher-density RAM out of the first bank or
two, pulled 300 MHz CPUs and shoved in a 200 MHz CPU without setting
the jumpers...

I once got two U2s from a vendor, one with 2x 300 MHz CPUs, and another
with 2x 200 MHz CPUs... Oddly enough, they had mixed the CPUs (each
Ultra 2 had one 200 MHz CPU and one 300 MHz CPU), and th emachine
wouldn't boot - only after I trusted nothing did I get the machine
working.

I bet your CPU is in the wrong slot...

=====
Lionel