[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 10 17:34:48 CST 2003

On Monday, February 10, 2003, at 06:22 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Yes, it's a great thing.  But Sun keeps using it for really stupid
> shit.
> OS installers?  OS-specific application installers?  OS-specific
> resource monitors?  OS-specific management tools[1]?

   Stupid, stupid, stupid.  I understand the motivation to "get behind"
their products, but this is just plain damaging.

> [1] Not talking about SMC specifically, since there's a big benefit to
>     remote management, but the tools that came before it that were
>     hosted -on- the same machine that you were looking at and -still-
>     were written in Java.

   I've been remotely managing UNIX systems for years, and so have you.
I've never run SMC.  Kerberized telnet & rsh (or even SSH if your
network is small enough) and a good text editor are your friends.  And
for really big networks, rdist is your friend too.

         -Dave