[rescue] Sun memo regarding Java

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Feb 10 17:22:23 CST 2003

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:

>    Don't get me wrong, I've been programming in C for something like 17
> years, and I love it to no end.  But it's pretty hard to ignore the
> binary-level platform independence aspect of Java applications.
> Indeed, it's saved my company's bacon.

Yes, it's a great thing.  But Sun keeps using it for really stupid shit.
OS installers?  OS-specific application installers?  OS-specific
resource monitors?  OS-specific management tools[1]?

[1] Not talking about SMC specifically, since there's a big benefit to
    remote management, but the tools that came before it that were
    hosted -on- the same machine that you were looking at and -still-
    were written in Java.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "It's not about who's right and who's wrong...
Thorndale, TX      (*   it's about who works for the government and who