e: [rescue] IBM RS/6k 48P

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Thu Feb 6 02:47:50 CST 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On 2003.02.05 11:30 vance at neurotica.com wrote:
>
> > Ah.  How for are you from it?  It might be worth driving to get it.
> It is located in Austria and I am in South-West Germany. It would be
> trip of at least 8..10 hours. (one way)

Hehehe.  I've gone further than that to get loads.  8-)

> > This is a really nice haul.
> Yes. But I am afaraid that the price will explode und I really should
> not spend more money on "nice to have" machines that I don't need.

I guess it all depends on how expensive they get then.  If it comes cheap
enough, it might be worth it.

> > They don't couple the nodes particularly
> > tightly, but they scale very large.
> Aha. Here is the reason why they absorbed Sequent: NUMA technology.
> I didn't know that the SPs are loose coupled message passing machines.

I don't know whether the RS/6K SP is based on Sequent's technology.  I
know IBM's big Linux clusters definitely are.

> > FDDI makes a really nice cluster interconnect medium.
> I know. Unfortunately Tru64 doesn't support it for this purpose.

That sucks.  I use it under VMS to do clustering.

Peace...  Sridhar