[rescue] On Software Installation

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Feb 5 10:50:47 CST 2003

A number of people (myself included) have mentioned how horrible IRIX's
installation procedure and software maintenance tool (inst) are.

Now, while AIX's initial installation is easier, I think smit is worse
than inst because of the following two things that are driving me mad
today:

  1) You aren't informed of missing prerequisites until you actually
     attempt the installation.
  2) If you have selected N packages for installation, and realize
     you've forgotten one, you get to select all N+1 packages, because
     it -doesn't- remember your selections after you leave the "SOFTWARE
     to install" screen.

I can deal with opening every distribution I own in order to install a
compiler patch, if it's going to tell me exactly what I need and let me
modify my selection without starting over, but this crap just loses.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  "The clue phone is ringing, and it's for you."
Thorndale, TX      (*                                 --Dave McGuire